Speed Networking with MEP candidates, a day shadowing competition and school visits are all initiatives that will be run by JCI Malta through the recently launched project Step Up For Europe – Make it Count! The project which will run up to the MEP elections on the 25th of May, is being run with the main purpose of educating young first-time voters, between the ages of 16 and 19, as well as foreigners living in Malta and voting for the first time, with all they need to know to make an informed decision.
Striving to provide opportunities for young people to make a positive change, JCI Malta has taken on the European challenge tasked by JCI Europe in order to encourage youths to have a say and to show them that their opinion counts.
What are our goals?
- Encourage political participation of young people and mobilize them to ensure the new generation of Europeans have a voice in the decisions for the future.
- Empower young leaders by providing them with platforms and forums for political debates to advocate for their political positions.
- Promote grassroots solutions using the JCI Active Citizen Framework that young leaders can use to help build what they envision for the future of Europe.
What will the events entail?
- Leading up to the MEP Elections, JCI Malta will be visiting a number of Secondary Schools in order to educate 5th Form students on their voting rights, what they need to know about the upcoming elections, as well as how important it is to be an active citizen in today’s world.
- In order to make an informed decision, one needs to actively seek ways to get to know the candidates contesting the upcoming MEP Elections. In that spirit, JCI Malta is providing the local community with the opportunity to meet as many MEP candidates as possible and speak to them on a one-to-one basis for a few minutes. The event will be happening on the 26th of April at Is-Suq tal-Belt.
- A Day in the Life of an MEP Candidate is yet another initiative JCI Malta is offering. This particular event is centred around giving first-time voters the opportunity to spend a whole day with an MEP candidate following their daily tasks and events. The shadowing sessions will be happening all throughout the months of March and April.